Monday, December 24, 2012

The Spirit of Christmas

Ho ho ho!! Merry Christmas!!

It's so good to be writing to you! I am especially happy today, and I hope that all of you are also especially happy! Why am I so happy? Because it's Christmastime!! Christ was born! Why wouldn't I be happy?? Also I just got done having a zone lunch (pizza!!) in which we were all thouroughly stuffed and had a good time talking with each other and such, so there isn't really anything to complain about. Furthermore, I was able to carry out my sneaky plan of buying my companion a Christmas gift without him knowing, so he shall wake up tomorrow to have a brand new watch under the Christmas tree....dangit! I forgot to take photos of the Christmas tree as I promised, but the next week there will be photos of I and my companion all Christmased-out and such. :D Yay Christmas! It's such a happy time of year!!

This week has been good in terms of the work. We've found a lot of new people and are finding some that seem to be fairly prepared to receive this message. Others aren't so very prepared, but we'll at least plant those seeds and trust that Heavenly Father will nourish them. I'm very glad to be with my companion. He's a lot like Elder Valdiviezo, so the constant energy can sometimes wear me out, but I'm doing well with him. He makes me work and works with me, so that's very good. We did have a very off day this Saturday. I made a lasagna for a sister in the ward, our mamita for Saturdays (who is also the sister of Bishop Villota from Santa Ana), and that was a tiresome task. It was the first time that I had ever made lasagna without a recipe and it was hard. The end result wasn't the tastiest lasagna I've ever had (oh Madre, how makest thou thine lasagnas to be so flavourful?), but it wasn't bad. I learned a lot from that experience though and believe that a second attempt would result in a much tastier lasagna. However, that lasagna just sat in our stomachs, and it was an exceptionally hot day. Also, everyone in the world and their brothers were out drinking and with their huge 5000 watt speakers turned to max volume in the streets playing dirty reggaeton music (I don't think anyone will ever understand just what type of atmosphere I'm talking about unless you come here to Esmeraldas), and Elder Paredes had two evil blisters on his foot and a cramped calf muscle, so...not a lot got done. But we picked ourselves up Sunday and got 5 lessons in the day, which is fairly good.

It's going to be tough to work through the very last minute, but it will be done. I shall work and when I go, Satan will say , "Thank goodness that guy FINALLY went home!" And then I'll keep working in the Lord's work when I'll get home, and Satan will say, "Dagnabit, does this guy ever stop??" And he'll throw me all kinds of tests, but I'll just turn myself over to the Lord and let Him take care of those tests, and I shall not stop nor fall. Yeah!! That's what will happen!

I'd like to share with you a passage of scripture that has really caught my attention in this Christmas season. It's one that should be well known, but I want to share it with you in case you've forgotten why we celebrate Christmas.

4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judæa, unto the city of David, which is called aBethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
5 To be taxed with Mary his aespoused wife, being great with child.
6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7 And she brought forth her afirstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the binn.
8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the aglory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you agood tidings of great bjoy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is aborn this day in the city of David a bSaviour, which is Christ the cLord.
12 And this shall be a asign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 aGlory to God in the highest, and on earth bpeace, good will toward men. (Lucas 2:4-14)

How simple was the Saviour's birth! He was not born in the splendour of the kingly courts that He deserved, nor could His parents provide Him with luxuries in His life. He was born in a manger in a stable to a young mother and her young carpenter husband. He lead a humble life and was never truly appreciated for who He was during His life, and even nowdays is not honoured enough as the Saviour who He is. 2012 years ago our Lord, Saviour, Redeemer, and King was born. From that babe grew a Man, the Man who would save all of mankind from sin, a task that only the Son of God could undertake and accomplish. And now in this Christmas season we have an even greater opportunity to remember that occurance. He is our Saviour! Let us honour Him as such! Let us remember that without Him, there is no hope for mankind. 

I'd like to share a quote from our beloved prophet Thomas S. Monson that my Madre shared with me:
"This joyful season brings to all of us a measure of happiness that corresponds to the degree to which we have turned our minds, feelings, and actions to the Savior, whose birth we celebrate." I bear witness that in this season we can feel greater happiness as we turn our minds, feelings, and actions to the Saviour. Let us all remember that Babe who became the Man that would save us all."

I love you all so very much! I hope that you all know that by now. If not, I will work harder to show my love for each and every one of you. I am grateful to have you all in my life. I'm sure I say that every post, but it's because it's true. Have a very merry Christmas and let the Spirit of the Lord be present in all of your celebrations! Until next week!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment