Monday, December 3, 2012

More lessons to learn

Hello family and friends and even those whom I don't yet know!

This day finds me a bit under the weather, truth be told. I have a cold right now, and I also may or may not have something out of whack with my gallbladder, but I'll be going to a doctor in Quito [today] to get things checked out. Have no fears! I am well enough, and I don't know for sure if it's a gallbladder problem, but that's the current prognosis from the mission nurse after several phone calls.

I keep learning things about marriage from my companion, so I guess the little problems that we have are serving for my good. I have found that when one of the companions (or spouses) has a goal, it is best if there is support from the other half, especially when that goal is for the companionship and will help to achieve a cause in which the two are united. For example, if one has a goal of baptizing 15 people before the end of his mission, the other should help in the achieving of that goal, especially because that goal helps both fulfill their missionary purpose. But when one does less than his part, much less helping the other reach a goal, nothing gets done. It's a rather frustrating situation, but I do know now that if my eternal companion or any other companion has a worthy goal, I will do what I can to help him or her reach that goal.



The Christmas Devotional was very good. I have come to really love President Uchtdorf's talks. He always speaks so clearly and always makes me see something that I hadn't really thought of before. I especially like how he said that we can be good receivers of gifts. That's something that I was learning a bit from a missionary (Elder Bramall, my great-grandson) here. I can show more gratitude for the gifts [spiritual and temporal] that I receive and truly show the love that I have for that person and my appreciation for whatever it is that they give me. I really loved that talk. But, as frequently happens in this time of the year (especially in relation to the nearing end of my mission), the devotional kind of made me a bit trunky. I miss a lot of things from the States, and hearing all of the Christmas memories that the First Presidency had made me want to make my own memories with my own family. But that time will come soon enough. There's still time to do good here, and I will do better to do that good.

I must leave now, for my bus is going to depart. [He was on a bus to Quito at 6:00 this morning as it's a 6 1/2 hour trip.] I love you all! Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

P.S. The picture of the Catholic priest is of a Father that I find looks a lot like Robin Williams. It just amused me, more than anything. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment