Monday, December 10, 2012

And... MORE lessons to learn...

Hello from Quito!

Why on earth would I be in Quito? Is it medically related? What's going on?? Well, it's not medically related at all; in fact, I'm doing very well and am not on medication anymore (I had coleloniatis ..or something like that [basically an infection in the colon]). I was in Quito last week from Monday till Thursday morning and arrived in my sector Thursday at 5 PM. I was able to work in my sector for that day and Friday, and then things got funky again, but not with my health.

We went on divisions with some elders from another sector that needed help, so Elder Christensen came to my sector and Elder Rosales went with Elder Rivas (Elder Christensen's companion). Elder Christensen and I worked and had a good day, and all was fairly well when we went to bed (Elder Rivas hadn't called me that night, but I figured it was because he didn't have any credit on his cell phone, and credit was coming the next day). At about 12:30 AM I received a call from the assistants saying that they had received a call from Elder Rivas but that when they answered, Elder Rivas' phone hung up and they couldn't get ahold of him again. They told me that I should call them in the morning to make sure that all was well, which I agreed to and went back to bed. Five or ten minutes later the assistants called me again and said that after praying about the situation they felt that something was very wrong and that I needed to go to Elder Rivas' house immediately (at about 12:45 AM). I woke Elder Christensen and we went over to their house. We didn't have to keys, so we had to get some members and the entire apartment complex involved to get into the house, and when we did we found out that they weren't at home. After wondering where they might be and why they weren't answering their phone (we had been calling since I woke up the second time), we decided we would go to another missionary's house to see if they had gone there. As we were leaving Elder Rivas' apartment, Elder Rosales and Elder Rivas came walking in the house, very surprised to see us and dressed in street clothing with no name tags. When we asked where they had gone, they said they had gone to some little town to see the beach and while there had been robbed of their cell phone and had had to find out how to get home. Upon informing the assistants, they told us that all four of us had to come to Quito, and Elder Rosales and Elder Rivas had to pack up all of their belongings and bring them. After getting to Quito (we left Saturday morning at 6:15 after not having slept that night) and after they had interviews with President Ghent, we found out that they had completely lied to us. They had gone to a beach/resort area called Atacames and had met up with the sister missionaries that were there. They had given the cell phone to a taxi driver because they didn't have any money to pay him when they got back to Esmeraldas. And the worst part is that when Elder Rosales told me the story that first night, he told me that he had no reason to lie and that he was very terrified from the "robbing" that had happened. If I felt betrayed with the incident with the phone, this occasion doesn't have words to describe what I felt. President still hasn't made a decision about what will happen with them, but they will most likely be sent home. So that's why I'm in Quito and I will be here until Thursday morning because we have Christmas dinner with President this Wednesday. Needless to say, we haven't been doing much in our sector, so I don't have anything to report about the actual work. Next week I will. :)

This has all been a good experience for me though. I have learned who I don't want to be, the importance of honesty, and more things that I want my future wife to have. I will do my best to be as honest as I can in all moments. I want to associate myself with the Father of truth, our Heavenly Father, and not the father of lies, Satan. I want people to be able to trust me in all moments and to know of a certainty that I am a representative of Jesus Christ. That is my goal and my wish, and I hope to attain it.

Hey, Jeffrey, just a tip: get all of your mission paperwork done as soon as possible. You do not want to delay anything, because delaying something might delay when you get out on your mission, which allows Satan to work more with you and tempt you to not go out or to do something that would make you unworthy to serve. Get everything done as soon as possible, and then you can rest tranquilamente. And good job going out with the Elders and teaching in Church! Keep on it!

I was very surprised to hear that people have sent me packages. I have yet to receive any, but I wasn't actually expecting any, seeing as I will be going home a month after Christmas. If anyone has yet to send packages and was thinking of doing so, it might be better to just send those things to my home, just so that they don't arrive after I leave. I really do appreciate the thought though. You all are so wonderful. :)

I don't have much more to say for now. Thank you for all of your prayers and your support. I am incredibly grateful for all that you have done for me throughout my mission. I love you all and wish you a wonderful week. Bye!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment