Monday, October 29, 2012

Work, work, work - it works!

Hello all! (It's really hard to always have clever greetings.)

How is everyone on this lovely day? I hope everyone is doing well. I'm a bit tired to tell the truth. I could really use a nice nap. We haven't really done much today because I'm horribly broke ($1.70 until either tomorrow or Wednesday), but I have learned a wonderful lesson that has to do with tithing and fast offerings. Since I don't receive an income, I can't pay tithing, but from our support money we are expected to pay generous fast offerings. I usually always offer a very generous fast offering and I usually have a good amount of money left over at the end of a support payment cycle (once every 2 weeks). However, this month, for reasons that I'm not really sure about, I didn't fast nor pay a fast offering, and I now am completely broke. It's been a testimony building time for me, and I can now definitely see the blessings of paying a generous fast offering or a full tithe, if such is possible. Also, before I paid generous fast offerings I used to struggle with managing my money as well, but when I started giving more, I seemed to have more. There has never been an increase in my support payments, but I've always had more than enough. So learn from my experiences and pay a full tithe and generous fast offerings! The Lord will be obligated to bless you (see Malachi 3:8, 10 and 3 Nephi 24:8, 10).

This week we were privileged to be part of three different baptisms. Romina was able to be baptized, and when Bishop Borja was giving the welcome, he shared a little part of his baptismal interview with Romina. When he asked Romnia why she wanted to be baptized, she said, "I want to be baptized because I love Jesus." It was just such a simple and touching declaration. She is completely fulfilling the great commandment that Jesus left with us: "And thou shalt alove the Lord thy God with all thy bheart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy cstrength: this is the first commandment" (Holy Bible, Mark 12:30). If only we could all follow Romina's example and keep the commandments because we love the Lord with all our hearts. How wonderful that simple statement is! She is such a special little girl.

We were also able to witness another 8-year-old child, Eduardo, be baptized by his father. That was also a sweet experience. Also, William Gómez, one of our investigators, was able to be baptized as well. We're still trying to be able to pass by the rest of his family, but there are some problems there. Prayers directed his way would be welcome.

I found a cure to worrying about the future! I was studying Preach My Gospel when I found that cure. It's a quote from President Ezra Taft Benson that I really liked, and I'll even highlight the part that really caught my attention.

“I have often said one of the greatest secrets of missionary work is work!If a missionary works, he will get the Spirit; if he gets the Spirit, he will teach by the Spirit; and if he teaches by the Spirit, he will touch the hearts of the people and he will be happy. There will be no homesickness, no worrying about families, for all time and talents and interests are centered on the work of the ministry. Work, work, work—there is no satisfactory substitute, especially in missionary work.

I have really found that to be very true this week. I have tried my best to focus on the work and just work, and it works!! It's incredible, but I haven't hardly worried about "the future" at all this week. Also, I would like to thank those of you whom decided to write to me and give me some advice. Of the advice that I received, the most common was 1) trust in God and 2) take things one bite at a time. I'm really trying to have more faith and also just slow down and focus on right now. It's really hard sometimes. I like to do things right now, and delaying them sometimes bugs me, but I'm learning. I know that Heavenly Father will provide me with what I need, especially when I am diligent and obedient. Right now I'll try to just focus on where my feet are, and later I'll figure out what I'll do, but not till I get to that point.

Jeffrey, in your down time, along with your scripture study you should be studying Preach My Gospel. If you can finish it before your mission, you'll be a lot more prepared and a better teacher than I ever was.

This week was also a bit odd in the rudeness factor. Two different people yelled at us that we're gay and today a guy greeted us on the bus with a very long and outstretched middle finger. It was just odd because I don't remember ever receiving opposition like that. It doesn't bother me at all because 1) I know that I'm not gay and neither is Elder Tucket and 2) I just choose to not let it bother me. Those occurances were rather odd though. (Jeffrey, prepare yourself.)

I had a very sweet experience yesterday during Sacrament Meeting. As I was partaking of the sacrament, I felt incredibly happy. It was like happiness was just building up in my chest and I could have burst out in shouts of praises and joy (I didn't though...you know, trying to be reverent and all...). I was just so happy! That's the second week in a row that that has happened, and I know that it's because I was worthily partaking of the sacrament. Such is the feeling when one is subject to the influence of the Holy Ghost. It's wonderful.

Well, I believe that's all for right this very moment. I love you all very much and hope that your week is fantabulous and full of spiritual experiences. I know that if you look for them, you will find them. I love you!

Love,
Elder Andrew Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment