Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy Birthday week!

ALOOOOOHAAA!!

Oh wait, I'm in Ecuador.

So I'm doing fairly well this week. We didn't have the best week workwise, but we have found some new investigators and put some new baptismal dates with a few people, and we have hopes for even more, so all is well. Also, I decided to buy a couple of futbol jerseys today, and I got one of Milan and one of Germany, and the Milan one looks really cool. I admit, I bought it only because I like blue and like Pirelli and am fairly neutral about the team, but I like the shirt, so that's what counts.

If I was to replace what was stolen last week, it would be best (and less expensive for everyone) to just send money...well, not send money to me (because that's actually illegal, sending it through the mail or whatever), but to my mom, who could then put it in my account. But I don't think it's really that necessary. [I had asked Elder Schomburg how we could help replace his stolen items - he assumed I meant "we" as a collective, not just "we" his parents. haha]  I'm learning to shave with a regular razor, and the carry-on bag isn't something horribly necessary. I'm still happy and just going about my mission with a smile. :D Oh, and it happened while we were in a meeting with the new missionaries and the trainers. We think someone came into the chapel and into the room where the things were and they made off with a couple of things while we were in the kitchen during the snack break. There wasn't really any danger or anything, it was just an unfortunate happenstance. All is well!

Oh, yeah, changes! I'm in..........Riobamba! With Elder Miranda! Yep, nothing happened with me. But that means that the next change I'm almost for sure going to another part. I've only been in any zone for 3 changes, and then I've left. Also, Elder Miranda is a c-c-c-c-combo breaker! because I've also only ever had companions for one change, and he's still with me. So yay! This is going to be the best change ever. And "why is that?" you ask. It's because that's what I decided, and so it will be.

Currently everyone in this internet cyber except for me and Elder Miranda are playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It's a bit loud, and there is some language that I don't appreciate so much, but así pasa.

I feel like I had a cultural tidbit to share with you this week, but...I forgot it. Sorry!

Oh hey, I got more pouch!! That was way exciting! I'm so glad that I have such good friends and family! You guys are the best. Oh! Question! Where is Elder Chandler Sperry serving? I remember Chile, but that's it. One of the young men from here just left to Chile Santiago Norte on his mission, so I was wondering if they would ever cross paths. And yes, I got Sister Sperry's package and a Valentine's package from Grandma (Judy)! Most every has been eaten already, but it was all very much appreciated. The taco seasoning will be used when I again have money to buy food that is not from my personal account. Thank you to all!!

Hey, my birthday's Friday! That's pretty cool. And I get to celebrate it with a prolonged trip to a foreign place (Ecuador)! Huzzah! And I get to celebrate it by being a superhero and helping saving people! Double huzzah!! And I get to have lunch with the one gringo family in all of Riobamba, and they know that it'll be my birthday! Triple huzzah! I'd say that's a fairly good birthday.

In response to whether or not there are a lot of Catholics in my sector, I'll give you a response to a question that I asked about a contact's religion: "The normal: Catholic." I think Ecuador is roughly 95% Catholic, followed by Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelicals (or is it evangelists? I don't know anymore). Almost all people who are Catholic here are such because their fathers are Catholic, and so are their grandparents, and great-grandparents, and so on and so forth.

I'm really trying hard to see the things that I do well in my life right now. I realized with some help last night that I focus way too much on what I don't do instead of focusing on what I do do. I feel like I'm so weak and many times I feel that I'm letting down God with the quality of my work, but Elder Miranda helped me understand that I am doing an excellent job as a missionary. I'm doing my best to put aside the world to focus on my calling, I do my best to teach with the Spirit, I'm loving, I try to better myself in my weak points...I do a lot well. I know that I shouldn't settle for who I am now, but that I can be even better while recognizing what I do well. I'll just keep doing my best to become like Christ, and I know that I will serve honorably and be blessed for all of my efforts.

Well, I don't have too terribly much more to say for today. I love you all, and I'm super glad that you're my friends and family. All the prayers that you can spare would be nice, because this week is going to be hard but wonderful. I love you! Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

P.S. If it's not a heretical request, could I somehow obtain the recipe for Aunt Wendy's green chile? Pretty please?? If not, I definitely understand. That's a fairly sacred recipe. Anyway, I love you! [Aunt Wendy's green chile is famous in our family!]

Elder Schomburg certainly didn't attach these photos, but I'm his mom and feeling nostalgic as he turns 21 this Friday. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment