Monday, February 20, 2012

¿Qué tal mis amados?

Hey, that's Spanish!  So, this week has been kinda long, but has also flown by. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. We had to go to Quito this Tuesday (where I was robbed of my carry-on suitcase and all that was in it, including my electric razor, phone charger, one of my favorite shirts, and my BYU sweatpants [ :( ]), and we came back Wednesday, then we had to go to Guaranda, which is two hours away, on Friday...we didn't get a lot done this week. It was a bit frustrating to say the least, but we tried at least. Oh, also, there's a festival this week called Carnaval, in which everyone runs around getting people wet, spraying foam at people, and other such shenanigans. If I wasn't a missionary, I would definitely get much more into Carnaval (i.e. roaming the streets Rambo-style with dual Super Soakers and water balloons out the wazoo), and I've been hoping that someone throws a water balloon at me so I can catch it and return it, but that hasn't happened. I got a face full of foam today from some teenage girls (I never expected them, but now I know that you have to expect EVERYONE), and Saturday I narrowly missed getting a bucket of water to the head. It's been fun.  Also, everyone leaves town, so that hasn't helped finding new people. But it'll end about Wednesday, and tomorrow we have to go to Ambato for the whole day for a zone conference with three other zones, so hopefully one day we'll be able to actually work and find people again. Oh, and only one more week in the change, so we'll see where I am in a week. Everything's so busy! Ahh!

Package answers: I received a Valentine's package from Grandma Ruth and Grandpa Ted and a birthday package from Grandma, but there's still no sign of the lost Christmas package nor of any other packages. I'll probably find out more tomorrow (the zone leaders didn't give us pouch this week [rather, I don't know if pouch was sent]) in the zone conference, and I'll let you know next week! I got some letters written today, but the post office was closed. Gur. Next week!

It sounds like Friday was a pretty wonderful day. Next year I'll be able to celebrate it with you! Huzzah!! I swear I'm not trunky. I'm very much involved in the work here, but I do also look forward to what I'll be able to do when I get home. I'd say it's a healthy balance.

Something came to my attention the other day when I received pouch that I think I should talk about today. I'm not sure if a lot of those who read this understand what it is that I'm doing here in Ecuador. I do understand that for those outside of the Church missions like this are a tad strange, and when my mission is different than that of every other religion that has missionaries, many could be very confused as to what my purpose is. I am here as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. I have been called by a prophet of God to say and do the same things that Christ would say and do if He was personally ministering to the same people to whom I've been sent. I have been set apart to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel by having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repenting, receiving a baptism by immersion and the proper authority, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring till the end. The authority which I have received is greater than that of any king or ruler on earth. I am not here just to converse to others about Christ or to represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; I am here to save people. My work is not mine; it is God's. I am not on my errand; I'm on His. My duty is to provide God's children in Ecuador the opportunity to return to His presence by coming unto His Son through the making of sacred and binding covenants with the Almighty Father Himself. I am not here to convince people that this Church is the one and only true church in the world, though I do testify that it is just that. I am not selling the Book of Mormon, though I do invite all to read it, meditate about it, and ask the Eternal Father if it is true. I am not studying anything here other than the Gospel. I am not working in any business or company, and I don't receive pay for what I do. I do this and am here because "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God," and every man, woman, and child deserves to make the covenant of baptism by the correct authority of God and receive the opportunity to return to His presence. I know that I hold the holy priesthood of God, and that through it I am able to help these people enter into this binding covenant. I know that the Church which I represent is the kingdom of God on the earth, and that I personally represent Jesus Christ. I hope that all now understand or at least have a better understanding of the vitality of the mission which I am serving, and the importance of my calling as a representative of Christ. I hope that you don't think that I'm boasting of my authority or anything like that, because I am far from boasting. I know that I only have this authority and only have this opportunity of serving as Christ's representative because God has permitted me to do so. I work for Him and for no one else. I only wish that you all can know what it is that I am currently doing.

Okay, well, my ears are burning, which means that I've been speaking with the Spirit, but now I must go, for my time is nigh to expire. I love all of you so very much. I am so grateful for your support and your prayers, and am very grateful for all of the letters that I receive from you. I hope that your week is a wonderful week and full of love and happiness. I love you, and I'll talk to you in a week. ¡Chao!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment