Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday again?

Salutations beloved loved ones!

I am doing very well today. We played soccer for awhile today, and then we went to the mall for lunch (we've gone every week for awhile hoping and praying that Carl's Jr. will be open, but it still isn't, and no one has any idea when it'll be open). Also, Elder Fernelius received his new companion today, so we're no longer in a trio, nor are we in a quartet. Now there will be a lot less running around all of Riobamba and a lot more of working in our own sector. I'm excited about that. Yay!!

This Saturday we had a wonderful baptism of Hermano Segundo. We started half an hour late because the branch mission leader and Elder Fernelius got there late, but Segundo got baptized darnit! I love that man so much. He's so receptive to the Gospel, he's humble enough to be taught, and he wants more than anything to be a good example for his son (who is not the boy pictured in the photos). I'm so glad for him, and I was even happier that I was able to baptize him. Oh, also, I got pouch!!! A LOT. Now, why is that related in any way, shape, or form to Segundo getting baptized? Because in one of my packages was my new pair of baptizing pants, and since I'm a rather large guy and so is Segundo, I lent him my new pants (they were the only ones we had that even came close to fitting him). So my new baptizing pants received use the first day I had them, and I didn't use them! But that's okay with me! And if that was a birthday package or something (it didn't say on the box or in it), sorry for opening it early, but it appears that it was an inspired opening. Yay!! [It was in fact his birthday present - guess the card didn't make it yet!]



Thank you so very much to every who sent me pouch! I was so excited to get the packages (3!!) and letters (a lot more than 3!!). I'll do my best to write you all back and let you know how grateful I am for you all. Also, I received some pouch from some people in the ward that I may or may not know (faces/names are getting fuzzy), but I am grateful all the same!! I love you guys!! You're the best!! [THANK YOU! THANK YOU from Elder Schomburg's madre!]

In response to a question, I really haven't a clue, nor does my companion, as to why we serve missions for two years other than because the Prophet says so. Rather, Christ, through His prophet, says so. It seems like the perfect amount of time to me though. Also, in response to another question that I received in a letter from pouch, it would not be frowned upon if I received games such as chess. Playing with investigators in place of really sitting down and teaching them might not be the best approach, but I'm sure any game would help me and my companions grow closer together in our down time before bed or los lunes. It's kinda interesting, but the zone leaders actually have a ton of games (Monopoly, Uno, Scrabble Slam [which they sometimes use for language study by making new words in Spanish]), and there's nothing that says that we can't have them, so, yeah!

I read a talk by Elder D. Todd Christofferson today in the January Liahona that was really good. It's called "Recognizing God's Hand in Our Daily Blessings"
( http://www.lds.org/liahona/2012/01/recognizing-gods-hand-in-our-daily-blessings?lang=eng ) and it talks about how we should focus on the daily triumphs instead of waiting for the big things to happen. Asking God for help daily helps us to learn to trust God daily, and not just every once in a while. He uses God giving the Israelites manna every day during the Exodus as an example that God was trying to help His people understand that they needed to trust that He would provide for them one day at a time, and thus it is. It's an incredible talk, and I believe it's something that I definitely needed to hear (as it would appear from reading this talk and then having mi madre talk about the exact same thing basically in her letter). I'm glad to have heard it because I really need to trust in God and in Christ more. I need to realize and put into practice that knowledge that this is not my work, and that everything that happens right now happens to strengthen me or help another one of God's children. I just need to try every day, little by little, to completely turn my life over to Him, and all will be well.

I received a lot of good critisism from some other missionaries this week. We always try to have companionship inventories where we tell the good and the could be better about our companions, and when we did divisions with Elder Lamprecht and Elder Fernelius they gave me some really good advice. They said that I could be more confident when I'm teaching and be more excited, and I think the lack of such comes from not trusting in God sufficiently. I've started asking for those things in my prayers, and I've definitely seen a difference in my confidence levels. It feels so good to be confident about something and have other people see that confidence, and that's something that I absolutely need as a missionary. If I'm not confident about my message, how are others ever going to want to hear or do more? It really has helped asking God, and I know that He'll always give as long as I keep asking. And it really should be really easy to trust in God. He has told us that He knows that we're weak, and He will make our weaknesses strengths if we trust in him (Ether 12:27). And, as Elder Christofferson has taught us, that weakness will turn into a strength one day at a time. I really do testify of that.

Well, I believe that I'll be going now. I don't have too much else to say. We do have more investigators! Only a couple more, but more! They own an ice cream shop, and they always give us free ice cream when we go in, so that's pretty cool. Also, the husband came to Church this Sunday! Huzzah!! That was way cool. They're so going to get baptized, and I'm going to try to be the best tool for God so that He can work a miracle with them.

I love all of you very much. Thank you for all of your support and for all of your prayers. They are much needed and very welcome. Have a fantabulous week, and remember that in the darkest of moments, instead of looking down, look up. I love you!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment