Monday, May 30, 2011

4 months in

Hello there everyone!

So, here I am, a tad more than 4 months in, and I've realized something; I only have 4 months in my mission. It seems like it's gone by super fast, especially my time in the field, but on the other hand, I have 20 more months. Dang. Well, I'll just keep swimming!

We didn't get to hear from Elder Scott this week because he didn't come. I don't know why he didn't come, but it's okay because Elder Walter F. Gonzalez of the Presidency of the Seventy came, and so did Elder Hooker, also of the Seventy. They did a kinda Q&A type thing, so that was cool. The coolest thing was how they always had an answer for everything almost immediately, and they had at least three scriptural references for each answer. It was really pretty cool. I probably didn't get the full effect of the conference though because I've had some stomach problems this week (they were the worst on Thursday of course), and we had to wake up at 5 that morning to travel to Quito, so I was a bit wiped out. I did realize that I need to study even more so that I can have answers to questions like Elder Gonzalez and Elder Hooker did. That was pretty cool.

So Elder Huarahuara leaves this Sunday. Only 6 more days with him, and then...I don't know what. I really don't know what happens next because changes aren't for another 3 weeks. Also, I don't know who will be the next district leader, if I'll be moved up to senior companion...I just don't know! So this upcoming week will be interesting to say the least. We'll see what happens.

The work here seems to both be picking up and slowing down. A lot of our investigators don't seem to be progressing, but we have several that are progressing pretty well. Also...oh for heaven's sake, how did I forget to talk about baptisms?? Okay, anyway, we had 3 baptisms this week, two for us and one for Elders Buckland and Rodriguez. I'm always amazed at the appreciation that people show for the work that we do. This time it was the parents of Jisela (she's the taller one in the pictures) and Genesis (she's not the taller one) who were appreciative. The dad even gave us, all of us, hugs! That was really amazing to see his gratitude. It was also very nice to baptize them because they've been working with a lot of different missionaries for awhile I guess. The parents are in the process of getting married, so hopefully they'll be baptized next!


Oh yeah, that's a problem here, marriage. Most people are together as a couple, they live together and do everything that a married couple does, but they're not married. Whatmore, they don't want to get married or don't see a need to get married. It's a bit ridiculous sometimes when we meet a couple who have been together for 50 or more years and they're not married, and then they say they need to get to know the other better before they get married. That drives me up the wall, but these things happen. Also, when I get back, I will know all about get married in Ecuador. We arrange a lot of weddings here. Weird, isn't it? But yeah, that's that.

As for whether you should fix up the van or put it out of it's misery, I'd go for the latter, but that's just me. And if you want to know how I'd do it, ask Jeffrey. He probably knows.

Pouch didn't come again this week, so it'll probably come Thursdayish. Hopefully, cause I haven't heard from people or received any important news for going on 3 weeks, maybe more. I don't really remember, but it's been awhile.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well and enjoying summer break. Also, I'm glad I at least look good in photos, because I've definitely put on a few pounds. My pants are definitely a bit tighter, which kinda makes me sad, but there's not a lot I can do about it here. Sigh. I guess I'll have to fix that when I get back, or maybe try to do some sort of ab workouts in the mornings. Oh well, thus is the life of a missionary.

Well, time to go. This time next week I'll be with a different companion (or in a trio temporarily), so that'll be interesting. I'll have to find out what to do for my music, because I've been listening to Elder Huarahuara's (he has it on a USB drive and has a stereo that uses the drive...actually, that's what EVERYBODY has here, missionaries included), and he's gonna be leaving. I'll figure something out. Anyway, I love you all, and thank you for all your support. I'll talk to you later!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment