Monday, May 9, 2011

Well, I survived cambios!

Hello beloved family and friends!

Well, today we got calls for changes (that means that some of us were assigned to a different sector/zone, and some weren't). And I will be in...La Concordia! Yep, no change for me nor Elder Huarahuara. Elder Buckland's compaƱero, Elder Estrada, was reassigned to a sector in Quito, and he just left a couple of minutes ago. So, yep. I get the heat and humidity of the coast for at least 6 more weeks. I'm okay with that though. There's more work to be finished and started here.

So, I thought I'd tell you about an observation that I made earlier this week during a zone mini-conference; a good missionary is a marvellous thing. I have to specify a missionary as a "good" missionary because a regular missionary is, in my opinion, little more than a 19-21 year old guy. So, why is a good missionary a marvellous thing? Because a good missionary has the power of the Holy Ghost. A good missionary has a special feel about him/her. A good missionary teaches with power, even if he's only practicing teaching. A good missionary has to work hard - ridiculously hard - to be a good missionary. When a missionary tries to be a good missionary, everyone who is around that missionary can feel that difference. People are more drawn to that missionary, and they will want to listen. And why? Because he has the power of the Holy Ghost. He has the authority of God, the priesthood, to do all things to bring about the salvation of man. He has accepted that he has been called of God through a prophet to bring about that salvation, and he understands what that entails. When a missionary has done all of these things, he becomes a good missionary and a marvellous thing. A miracle, really. How else could a 20-something-year-old bring about the salvation of men? Only through being divinely appointed, receiving divine power, working hard, and then working harder. Anyway, those are my two cents.

I have cause to shout praises to the heavens, and I shall do so right now! My little sister is going to be singing a solo and a duet in the upcoming Pops Concert at her high school! Oh yeah, she's also a freshman. I'm pretty much excited beyond belief for that. Elizabeth, you are awesome. Keep up the good work! And there's more! Jeffrey will be receiving an award of some kind at the upcoming award banquet at his high school. How awesome is that? I know that everything that is happening to my family are blessings because they have decided to be disciples of Christ. Keep up the good work family!

I guess I don't really have a lot to write about today (I got to call home yesterday for Mother's Day...oh, by the way, Happy belated Mother's Day to all the mothers who read this blog...no, Happy Mother's Day to ALL mothers!). Sorry about that. We haven't had a lot really happen. I guess times could be called tough since we've been having troubles with our investigators and them not keeping certain commandments, which delays their baptismal dates, but thus is the life of a missionary. We just have to love them more and help them through all things. That's why we're here, after all, to help people.

Food update! There's an amazing soup here called encebollado. It's a milk-based soup (I think...I might just be making that up) with some sort of awesome spices, fish, sometimes shrimp, onions, and yucca (I think), served with tortilla chips that you crunch up and put in the soup. Then you put some mustard in it and some lime juice, and then you have that for breakfast. It's absolutely delicious, and I suggest that everyone try it out (by that I mean try to find a recipe online and then make it). It's special to Ecuador, but I'm thinking it's something that'll stay special to me for longer than my time here. Warning: this soup does not do pretty things to your breath, so have it before you brush your teeth, or have gum handy.

Que mas, que mas...oh, when sending packages, I just wanted to remind you that it cannot be over 4 kilos, it's illegal to put money in the packages, and you should cover the box in religious stickers. So, yeah, just little reminders. I should have a chance to check pouch on Thursday, so I'll see if my 3-week dry spell has just been accumulating somewhere. (Side note: when I say how long it's been since I received packages/letters, it's soley to let those who have sent things know that I haven't received it yet. It's not a pitiful plea for more packages or anything like that. I just like to keep people updated, that's all.)

Well, I don't have a lot more to say. I love all of you very much. Oh, I hope that all that had or will have finals soon do well on them! I can't wait to hear how you did! (*coughcough*) Haha, anyway, I hope all is well with all y'all in the States. Also, you guys are so ridiculously blessed to live in the States. You don't even know. You guys really are in the Promised Land. Okay, Imma go for now. Cuidase!

From the madre:
Links for your perusal:
http://laylita.com/recipes/2008/03/01/encebollado-de-pescado-or-tuna-soup/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encebollado

No comments:

Post a Comment