Monday, January 7, 2013

It's all about the Goals

Hello to all!!

This week finds me with exactly two to three Mondays left to write to y'all....that's an interesting thought. I say two to three because I don't know if I get to write home that Monday in which I'll be flying home, so I have exactly two to three Mondays left to write to you. Craziness. By the way I'm in Esmeraldas, diga! (When I get home I'll teach y'all how to say "diga" and "ve" and all sorts of things.)

It's pretty exciting that there will be another YSA (Young Single Adults) ward in the Stake. I've been contemplating whether or not I should attend a YSA ward when I get home or not. I would really love a calling and feel like I would probably have more chances of getting one if I were in a YSA ward, but we'll see what happens when I get back.

"When I get back" is a more frequently repeated phrase now that will also come to pass within a short time. Ve.

Some will ask what that slightly ugly Captain America doll is, and I shall tell you. Remember the año viejos that I told y'all about? That's what a small one looks like. They come in all shapes and forms, but some Elders here were kind enough to buy me one while I was in Quito. Why Captain America? 'Cause I am Captain America. It's pretty darn cool, and it says "Andrew" on the bottom of the foot in reference to Toy Story (they were going to put Andy but remembered that I don't really like to be called Andy that much). I might have to use it for its original purpose and burn it before coming home because it's hollow, there's some newspaper wadded up inside that rattles around, and customs might not like that so very much, which all makes me sad, but we'll see what I can do.



Souveniers that are "of" the country...would a hammock from Esmeraldas qualify? I was wanting to buy some shirts for my family (maybe the Ecuador soccer jersey [ojo, all will be fake because the real ones are $45 each], and there's one that says, "The Beatles" and has pictures of Ecuadorian beetles that I absolutely love [I'm a nerd, I know]), and the hammocks here are pretty cool and a cultural item from Esmeraldas (everybody and their dog has a hammock). I'll keep thinking of that. Luckily there's a kind of outdoor souvenier mall two blocks from the offices in Quito, so I'll see what I can find there.

So, has anyone made any New Year's resolutions? I've made a couple, and I tried to make some for the time that remains in my mission, but that was a bit difficult. One of the ones that I've made that I want to uphold is read the Book of Mormon every day. I know it'll be a tad difficult, but I will do it. I always feel more edified when I read the Book of Mormon, so why not read it every day? I also want to learn to play the piano, work out every day (except for Sundays), magnify my office and calling in the Church, and regularly invite my friends to attend and investigate the Church. There are a couple more too (find a good job, study at BYU, get married, etc.), and I'm sure that I'll make more as the situation presents itself, but for now I thought those would be some good goals. I will be putting into practice something that was taught in the zone leaders counsel; how to make goals. For example, I have the goal of participating in the 2016 Olympics. Well, in order to do that, I need to set some smaller goals and keep setting those goals until I reach my big goal. It's a gospel principle as well, as it says in Alma 37:6; "Now ye may suppose that this is afoolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by bsmall and simple things are great things brought to pass...." I'm excited about the prospect to be able to set and reach goals throughout my life. Also, I like something that Elder Ballard says in "Preach My Gospel";

I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life.

If I don't have any goals, I won't do anything with my life. My life won't have a purpose if I don't give it one. I know that I am here to prepare myself to return to the presence of my Heavenly Father, but that is a big goal, and if I don't set smaller goals now, I'll never reach that main goal. It's just something to think about. :)

Also, speaking about zone leaders counsel, I felt that the testimony which I bore was what the Lord wanted me to bear. I had been thinking beforehand that I should tell them how I had become to be known as the papá de los cajones (Father of the Drawers, but in the mission a cajón [drawer] is someone who is really obedient and expects obedience from others, and the term is generally derogative and used by the less-than-obedient missionaries) and then bear my testimony of obedience, but when I opened my mouth I just bore my testimony of obedience. I felt that the words I spoke were sufficient for what I know and of what Heavenly Father wanted me to bear testimony.



Well, I shall go now. I love you all and wish you all the blessings that Father can give. I know that by following the Saviour we earn the greatest blessings in life. Have a wonderful week! I love you all!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment