Monday, January 21, 2013

This is it...


Helloooooooo!!!!....(echos into eternity)

This is it, the last letter, the last post in my mission. ...And I'm not sure what to say. I had fully planned on writing something exceptional and helping others, and then my wonderful, amazing mother wrote me a very needed letter. My emotions are so mixed right now. As I read the letter I was crying, and then when I saw the pictures that she sent me I couldn't stop laughing (Dad has got to be the biggest dwarf that I have ever seen).

An Unexpected Party for Elizabeth's 17th birthday!
It was a Hobbit themed surprise party. :)

It's such a strange time in my mission. It seems like the mission will never really end and that this isn't really the last week, that all that everyone tells me is just a big joke and I'm going to stay in Ecuador preaching the gospel for the rest of my life. But I know that's not true. This is actually the last week that I will spend preaching the gospel in Ecuador, and in 8 days I will be on United States soil. As my wonderful mother stated, 
"The "end" of your mission really isn't the end at all - just like baptism isn't the end to an investigator. This is the BEGINNING son! Your mission has been like the preparation you did each day to get ready to compete in a track meet - arriving home is when the meet begins and you start to JUMP!"
This is not the end, but rather is the beginning. I have been armed and prepared with all that I will need to successfully overcome the obstacles that the adversary will throw at me, and there is nothing that I cannot do. I have gained a conversion. With that conversion, which founds me upon the rock of Christ, I cannot be overcome. I will have temptations. I will sometimes trip and possibly even fall, but I will always get back up, because as Isaiah said,
"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that await upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint" (Isaiah 40:28-31).
I now have a wonderful opportunity to become anything that the Lord wants me to be, and as I do so, I will receive all of the blessings that the Lord has in store for me. It's an incredibly exciting time. 

It's also a sad time. I now have to leave behind the life I know. I won't be a full-time missionary anymore. I won't be walking the streets with the scriptures in my hand and a badge on my chest. That doesn't mean that I will stop preaching the gospel; I would hope that the way that I lead my life is testament enough of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I will have to work at a job in which they pay me with worldly blessings. I will have to study. I will get married and start my own family. I've tried to do some of those things before, but I've never had to really dedicate myself to those things. Now I understand that everything that I do will have a direct impact on my future and that of my family. I will have to make decisions. I can't sit the fence anymore. Everything will be so different. I will have to find out where I fit in society. But I can do anything if I am firmly established on the foundation of Christ. I won't ever be alone. I won't ever be without direction. I am so grateful for that wonderful gift which I have, and I pray that I will be able to take full advantage of said gift.

I hope that during these two years and from the posts that I have sent every week that all you have been edified and have grown as well. I will continue with my weekly posts in hopes that I might be able to continue helping people throughout the world. I hope that you continue to tune in every week with the desire to learn, because I've got some topics that I would love to expound.

Thank you to everyone who has supported me in any way, be it through letters, packages, emails, thoughts, or prayers. I know that I have been strengthened because of your thoughtfulness and prayers. I will do my best to support anyone who needs any type of help.

I know that this is the true Church. I know that Jesus Christ is my Saviour and Redeemer. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ and His gospel have been restored through the prophet Joseph Smith, who was called of God to bring to pass this marvelous work. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and indeed is the most perfect book on the face of the planet. I know that that book was written by an ancient American people who was guided by Heavenly Father through His holy prophets. I know that today we are also guided by holy prophets. Christ, as the Head of His Church, has called men today to fill the rolls of prophets and apostles in order to guide us safely to Him. I know that anyone can come to know the things which I know, even the most hard-hearted. All anyone needs to do is sincerely ask Heavenly Father if these things are true, having a true intent to act upon whatever answer that is given. I testify that Heavenly Father hears every prayer and will answer those prayers in His own time. I invite everyone within the reach of this message to start taking a sincere interest in his own spiritual well being and diligently search for the truth. I invite everyone to investigate The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and ask God if this Church is the one true church upon the face of the earth. You all deserve more than just "good enough". I testify that Heavenly Father is 100% willing to give us the best if we will but ask Him. I hope and pray that you do so.

I shall be off now. I love you all very much; that much has not changed nor will it ever. I hope that you all chose to follow Christ, for His path is the path of happiness. Have a wonderful week! I love you all! I'll see you later!

I have no idea - it's just a very happy Elder with a bottle of juice!

Love,
Elder Andrew Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment