Monday, August 27, 2012

Hello from the equator!!



So this week was a fairly good week. We got a lot of things done and had a lot of good experiences. As you all know (or maybe have forgotten, but this shall remind you!), the mission was paid a visit by none other than Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. It was a very good training session that he gave us. Part of it I had already heard before, but a lot of it was new as well. Something that he helped me see is the importance of missionaries. We have the sacred duty to help in the gathering of Israel, to bring the tribes of Israel back to the fold. The Saviour will not come again until missionary work is done and until everyone has had the chance to hear the restored gospel, and I am part of that force bringing the gospel to the world. It's incredible to me, as it is to Elder Holland as well, that the duty of taking this gospel to the four corners of the earth is put into the hands of 19-25 year-olds. Unless they were guided by Jesus Christ Himself, through His chosen leaders, how on earth could 19-25 year-olds accomplish such a great feat? They couldn't. That was something that I really felt was very important, and again it proves that this is the work of the Lord and that He guides us as representatives of Him and His Church. All in all the meeting was wonderful. Oh, and I got to shake Elder Holland's hand, so that was fairly nifty too. :D

And there were even more happenings this week! The Piñan family was married on Friday (there are photos, but the computer doesn't have a SD card reader), and then on Saturday after Elder Holland's visit they were baptized! It was very good and we were very happy to see them get married and then get baptized. Wooo!

Sunday was a special stake conference with Elder Richard J. Maynes, from the Presidency of the Seventy, and I'm sure it was a very good conference. Why do I say that like I didn't see it? Because I didn't see it. During the conference a lot more members than were expected came, and all of the rooms were filled. We missionaries were happily seated, watching conference (because we got there on time and such), and as time went on more and more people came. Eventually so many people were there that they decided to remove the missionaries in order to let the people who came late have somewhere to sit. It's something that I didn't quite understand, and still don't quite understand, but así es la vida. Everyone says it was a fantastic conference, so I'll just have to believe them.

In response to my challenge to everyone last week to share the gospel a bit more: I understand that some of you faced some opposition in this quest. I can certainly empathize (or is it sympathize?) with you. BUT I have something more to share with you:
"And blessed are all they who are persecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
And blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;
For ye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets who were before you."
-Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 12:10-12 and the Holy Bible Saint Matthew 5:10-12
When you share the gospel of Jesus Christ and are looked down upon, spit upon, smitten, cast out, and trodden down, remember that you are sharing in the experience of One a lot greater than you. You are following in the footsteps of Christ. This is the true Church, and I will not be stopped from saying so. What Heavenly Father, the Eternal God, has revealed to me through His Holy Spirit is stronger than any word any man can say to me. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true Church upon the earth, and I know that anyone who asks "with a sincere heart, with true intent, having faith in Jesus Christ" will come to the same conclusion. So call me what you may, throw at me any insult that you can think of, resort to physical violence if you want, but I will not deny what I know, and I hope that those who are also Latter-day Saints will not either. Stand strong, because the winds of opposition are strong as well. Keep the faith and always trust that Christ is your Saviour, the only One through whom comes salvation.

Also, I wanted to thank all of the people in the world, and especially the women, who dress modestly. Thank you for respecting your bodies and for respecting other people as well. By dressing modestly you are showing that you know that real beauty comes from within and that you respect yourselves as daughters and sons of a Heavenly Father. Thank you for those who choose to dress modestly in all occasions.

Well, I'm out of time for today. I love you all and hope that you will all do your absolute best to follow the example of Jesus Christ in every moment. I'm often reminded of a bumper sticker and saying that I saw a lot in the States: "What would Jesus do?" Think of what He would do in your situation, and do that. I love you! Have a fabulous week!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment