Monday, September 26, 2011

Little things... enormous joy!

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to decide how to start this letter because I'm trying to determine if what I say first might cause me to be judged as to whether my priorities are straight or not. I have to reassure all of you that they are perfectly straight, but there are some little things that seem to bring enormous joy to me. One of those little things would be REESE'S!! I may or may not have received every type of Reese's currently on the market from my most amazing and wonderful family, and my companion and I may or may not have already eaten most all of the individually wrapped mini Reese's cups. I don't think I'm communicating how excited I was to get Reese's very well, but I think to do so may be slightly unprofessional. I was pretty excited. Oh, and I got Grandma's package too! In one go I got Reese's, Nerds, Jack Links, and a Salted Nut Roll. You guys just made this missionary's day. Thank you!

I think I got more mail too, but someone from my zone got there first, and whoever gets to the offices first gets the pouch for everyone and hands it out during the district meetings. So I don't know if I got more pouch (there's a very good chance that I did though), so I'll let you know next week. Oh, and no letters were sent out again today. Having a "child" takes up a lot of time, and I haven't had time to write anything really. I'll try to get at least one letter out next week though.

Hmm, how are Sacrament meetings in Ecuador different than in the States.... A better question would be, "What are Sacrament meetings like in the States?" It's been a bit since I've been to an English Sacrament meeting in the States (8 months as of today!). No, I do remember a bit. They're pretty much the same here as in the States, but in Spanish. Also, it's a little bit less reverent, but Bishop Escobar addressed that yesterday, so that was really good. They're a bit smaller (about 100 in Comité), but there really aren't that many differences. The Church is the same all over the world, and the same goes for Ecuador.

Every day except Mondays we have a "mamita" who gives us lunch. A "mamita" is just a member (sometimes non member) family who gives us lunch. Here in Comité the mamitas switch every week (one group one week, the other group another week, then the first group, and so forth), and we generally always have lunch with the Bishop's family one day of the week. It's rather nice and amazing that everyone here is so willing to help us missionaries out. I'm always grateful for food. Always. Also, one of our mamitas here in Comité also does our laundry, which is nice too.

I'm sorry if anyone felt offended by my last letter involving not watching football on Sundays to better keep the Sabbath holy. It was not my intent to offend, rather to cause reflection. I'd love to quote a scripture from the Book of Mormon again, but I'm fairly certain that it'd be salt in the wound, so I'll refrain. [1 Nephi 16:2 - I'm posting it for him.]  I don't issue challenges to offend people. I don't challenge people to live more in accordance to the commandments because I think everyone's sinning. No, I that's not my intention at all. I issue these challenges because I am prompted to by the Spirit. I issue challenges so that people will grow closer to their Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and so that they can develop a personal relationship with Heavenly Father. I can guarantee that the challenges that I issue will not cause someone to be condemned or anything of the sort. Everyone has their agency; everyone can choose to listen to me or not, to be offended or not. However, I have been called by a prophet of God to preach repentance and baptism by immersion to all people, and I intend to magnify my calling. If you chose to accept my challenges, you will be blessed. That's a promise. Also, if anyone feels offended by my words, there are two people to whom you should mention it; me and your Heavenly Father. Please don't take out your frustration on my madre. She's only a messenger, and my words do not reflect her opinion in any way. Write to me, and I'll do my best to get back to you within...several business days.

Oh! The other piece of exciting news! I got to perform my first confirmation yesterday! For those of you outside of the Church, the confirmation is when a recently baptized person is confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is given the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was the first time that I was asked to perform the confirmation, and it was a very spiritual experience. I've been learning to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost more and more lately, and at times it's tough because some bold things have come to me. However, I know that I am receiving the words from God through the Holy Ghost, and I need to trust that God knows what it is that He wants me to say. I am definitely feeling closer to my Father in Heaven, and I grow spiritually every time that I perform an ordinance or give a blessing.

Elder Papworth and I are getting along very well still, which is good because we'll be together for the next 10 weeks or so. I'm still learning from him and learning how to be a parent. It's difficult, but well worth all of the effort. I know that I will be blessed for my efforts.

Well, I don't have much more to say for this week. I hope everyone is doing well on this day. I hope everyone has had a wonderful week, and I hope everyone has a wonderful week until next Monday. Keep reading the scriptures (or start reading them!), keep praying, and keep trying to get closer to your Heavenly Father, and He will help you through all difficult times. I love you all very much, and I'll talk to you again Monday. ¡Hasta luego!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment