Monday, October 3, 2011

Living Prophets

"Hello!" - President Thomas S. Monson

I decided to quote our beloved prophet (I have to think every time I type that word, "It's a ph in English!") because sometimes a greeting as simple as "hello" can be filled with so much love that it just makes you want to cry. I do so dearly love our prophet. He's always so happy and excited and full of energy, even though he's 84. Anyone who sees him can see that he runs on Energizer Lithium Plus batteries, because he just keeps going and going, and he's always smiling. Apart from being a wonderful human being, he has helped me in so many ways that I didn't know stranger could, even though he feels more like family than anything else. Just speaking of him make my eyes get all watery from gratitude. He is our prophet, our leader, a man called by God and led by revelation. Of that I will always testify, as I once told a nice man in Santo Domingo (he had told me and my companion that we should forget Thomas S. Monson).



Something that I really noticed this year in General Conference was the authority and the power that our living prophets have today. I've always known that it was at least logical that we had prophets today (the scriptures, including the Bible, testify of that), but since that occassion a few weeks ago in which I really received my testimony of prophets, I have been more susceptible to feeling the power and authority of their calling. I really felt that during General Conference this weekend. Those men speaking have been called by God and ordained to be apostles and prophets. They receive communication directly from the heavens. No other man can speak like they can. A person can be a wonderful orator and a man of many words, but only the prophets and apostles can speak with the authority which only they hold. I testify that we have prophets and apostles in these latter-days, just as so many prophets have prophecied. I testify that they have been called by God. I testify that they receive revelation from God to guide us. They are real, and their revelation is not only for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but is for the whole world. Of course, the decision to listen to the prophets is your choice, just as it always has been, from the days of Adam to Noah, from Noah to Moses, from Moses to Christ, and now again in these days. The decision is yours, but remember the words of Nephi, who stated, "And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness" (2 Nephi 33:11). While Nephi was writting about the Book of Mormon in that case, the Book of Mormon was written by prophets who received revelations from God, and the revelations of today are just as valid. All you must do to know that is ask the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, believing that you shall receive, and it shall be given unto you. Thomas S. Monson is a prophet called of God to lead us. He communicates directly with Jesus Christ and with the Father, and he guides us under Their direction. I know that these things are true, and I know that you can know for yourself as well.

So, now that I've said that, I'm doing pretty well today! We got to play ultimate frisbee and futbol today, which was way fun, though my ankle is feeling it now. And also the leg that's a tad scrapped up. But that just means that I was playing! Anyone who knows me knows that if I don't come back with some bruise, scrape, or other minor damage, I wasn't really playing. It felt really good to play with the zone again. Also, I found that there's a Correos del Ecuador here in Comite, but I was still only able to write one letter before I had to send it off. Next week a packet shall be coming sent. Thank you everyone who has sent me anything. I always appreciate hearing from everyone, and everyone is invited to write! Oh! A miracle has happened! I have had my Reese's for about a week now, and I still have more than half of what arrived left. Look out, the end of the world really is coming. Oh, and I've even shared a lot! Also, recent studies show indicate that there is no such thing as a bad type of Reese's. Science speaks the truth!

Oh, so winter in Quito means that it rains every evening. Elder Papworth and I are now finding that out, and I am very grateful for my raincoat.

Also, Madre, what exactly entails being a Health Coach? Is it a paid position, volunteer position, do you have to go into an office or something...what is it that you do Madre?

My companion seems to be doing well. He has some challenges sometimes, just as all new missionaries do, but he's a champ and just keeps on going. I am always learning from him, and I am so glad to have him as my companion.

I hope that all goes well with all schooling on all parts, and that those problems that are present can be fixed, hopefully by one rather genius guy that I know. Keep on praying and doing everything that you can, and the Lord will provide the rest.

I love all of you, and I'm so proud of all the changes that you have made and for the people that you have become. I'm especially proud of my family and all that they are doing, and especially for my parents. They have been working hard to become the best that they can be, and while they're not perfect (yet), they always do their best. Thank you for your examples, Mom and Dad. I love you all (again), and I hope that you have a wonderful day and week. ¡Cuidense!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment