Monday, September 12, 2011

Training and testimony

Good afternoon to all!

I am doing quite well on this day. I'm a bit scared and worried about the next few weeks, but I am doing well. Why am I a bit scared and worried? Well, I said goodbye to Elder MaridueƱa this morning as he left for Otavalo. I'm here without a companion (I'm currently with the elders of Colla Loma) because my companion will be arriving on Wednesday from the CCM...or the MTC, I don't know which yet. Yep, you guessed it, I'm going to be training a new missionary! So yeah, that has me a bit worried.

In the mission, trainers are called "dads", and it's for a good reason. I am now responsible for the helping my "son" to learn and grow in the mission, just like a real dad is in charge of making sure his children learn and grow well in real life. I am now responsable for providing the foundations for the rest of the mission of my trainee. His mission will be shaped by what happens in this first companionship of his, and his success in the mission largely depends on me right now. True, he has his free will, and if he chooses to just not do anything I cannot force him to do anything, but I sure can love him as much as possible so that he will in turn develop a strong love for his Heavenly Father, his Savior, and for his investigators. I will be preparing my "son" to help save many more souls later on in his mission. He has been sent here for a reason, and I have to help him realize this and magnify his calling. I have to be the absolute best example for him that is possible. If he doesn't know much Spanish, I also have to teach him how to speak.

The similarities between a real father and a trainer are terrifyingly similar. I'm going to learn so much these next weeks. I'll have to study harder than ever so that I know how to teach my "son" to teach others. I'll have to pray and fast often, because I'm going to be tried in every way possible. I'm sure there will be times when I will be pushed to the limits of my patience, but I just have to learn how to love more and have more patience. I will be humbled into the dust I am sure, but I will rise up stronger and more confident in my Lord than ever. I'm terrified of this responsibility, but as I have said before, I will go and do the things the Lord commands, for I know that the Lord always provides a way to accomplish His commandments, and He will never give me more than I am able to bear.




I was very excited to hear about Dad's new calling as First Counselor in the Elder's Quorum Presidency. That's rather amazing, and I'm sure that he'll magnify his calling to the best of his ability. Who knows, maybe someday the Lord really will call him to be a bishop? The Lord does work in mysterious ways, after all.

I have not yet received the package from Grandma. It's possible that it's trapped in mail jail, in which case I'll probably get it within the next couple of weeks.

Well, that's about all I have for now. I love you all so very much, and I am so grateful for all that you all do for me. Thank you.

I just want to close with my testimony of the Atonement. I know that it is real. Jesus Christ was chosen to suffer for us and take upon Himself our sins, and He was chosen because He volunteered to do the Father's will. I know that Jesus Christ chose to suffer all of our pains and afflictions so that He could better understand us, and He took upon Himself our sins so that we could be saved. He chose for Himself to do the Father's will, and through that grand display of perfect love we have the chance to live forever with our families and with our Father in Heaven. I know that if we will but trust in the Lord with all of our hearts and souls, He will guide us through all trials and difficulties and will make our weaknesses become our strengths. He will prepare us for eternal life and exhaltion if we will but trust in Him and have faith in Him. He is our Redeemer, our Saviour, our Brother. He will always be there for us because He has always been there for us, even before we first sinned and had a need to be saved. His Atonement is infinite and eternal, and only through Christ can we be saved. There is no other way nor name given by which man can be saved. I know that these things are true with all of my soul because I have received a testimony of them from God, our Eternal Father. I leave this testimony with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment