Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Happy Labor Day!

Good afternoon everybody!

So I'm including some photos, but I'm not really sure which ones they are, so surprise! I think two are of me with some rather me-ish faces, and I think one is of Elder Maridueña with the sword of Laban. If not, then I hope the pictures speak for themselves.




This week has been pretty good. We've had several capacitaciónes [training], one by President Ghent and one by the zone leaders, and they were both very excellent. Something very important that I've learned from both is that repentance is an amazing gift that we have, and it's one that I am currently using as much as possible. For a long while I've had a rather bad mindset, and I'm not sure how it happened. I've been thinking that because I'm only senior companion and not a district leader or anything that I don't have as much responsibility as they do, and my work has suffered because of that mindset. I'm just recently recognizing that I've had that mindset, so I'm working hard to fix that. I also learned that I don't need to be a leader in the mission to be a successful missionary. I can be the most successful missionary ever without ever being called to be a district or zone leader. I must be more successful, and I must do so by committing myself to the work even more.

I was filled with a bunch of revelations of things that I'd been doing wrong in the mission during these two meetings, but I am so very grateful that I received those revelations. Anothing thing that I realized was that I had been a bit "trunky". One phrase that I hadn't realized was so prevelant in my everyday speech was "when I get back, I'll...", and this phrase is about as "trunky" as one can get. I am really trying to refocus my thoughts on what I am doing now, and not what I'll be doing "when I get back." I was rather saddened that I have lost so much time in my mission because of this mindset, but now I am even more resolved to show Heavenly Father how grateful I am for all that He has given me by helping bring His children back to Him. I have to work harder. How many people did I promise to bring the Gospel to before this life? How many people are counting on me to help them see what is missing in their life and to get them started on the journey to eternal life? There may be thousands, and I need to work harder in order to find them. I will work harder. I know that because Christ paid the price for my sins and knows the pains of my sins, He can help me become a better missionary. He can help me gain an even more intense desire to help those in need, to help those without Christ in their lives to find out who their Savior and Redeemer is, and He can help me help those who think they know who Christ is find out and gain a personal relationship with Him through His atoning sacrifice. I can be the light upon the hill to help others find Christ and find their Heavenly Father and to get on the right path to eternal life.

Christ taught that many will enter in the wide gate rather than the straight and narrow path simply because they don't know where to find all of the truth. It's true that many will strive to lead better lives through scripture study (or entering the wide gate), but unless they enter the straight and narrow path through baptism by one who holds the authority of God, the priesthood, to perform saving ordinances, they cannot receive eternal life. How many people have not received this opportunity because I've been content to work at a mediocre rate? Too many. I have to repent of this, and I am currently working on doing so, so that no more souls are lost. I testify that the Atonement is real. Everyone has the chance to accept the Atonement in their lives, but to do so, one must enter into a covenant with God to always follow His Son and to always follow the commandments, and one must make this covenant through baptism by one who holds the priesthood. There is no other way. I testify that these things are real in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

I have exciting news! The Calderón Stake recently had a youth temple trip, and at the temple they were able to do roughly 2800 baptisms for the dead! How incredible is that?? 2800 souls now have the ability to receive all of the saving ordinances and live as an eternal family. That is incredible. I am so glad that they were able to baptize so many people. I definitely almost cried for joy when I heard how many baptisms they accomplished, and I may or may not have almost cried again when I wrote that. It's just so incredible, and it makes me so happy that it's hard not to cry.

I was rather saddened to hear about the Porsche breaking down. It's never been very good when it rains a bunch. I do hope that it gets to running again. If not, it's had a rough life, and now is its time to rest.

I am doing well. Healthy, happy, and still with Elder Maridueña, at least until the 13th. Maybe. It turns out that his visa was accepted, but the acceptance note failed to reach the offices in Quito, so he has to wait till they accept it again or send the acceptance note again. Or something like that. It's all a tad confusing, and not just for me.

I love you all so very much, and I'm glad to hear that you're all doing well. Thank you for supporting me always, and for all of your prayers. They are very much appreciated. I love you, and I'll talk to you all in another week. Chao!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment