Friday, February 4, 2011

Missionary Mail

Funny thing how missionary mail works... you never know when you're going to hear from your Elder or through whom!  I got a message from Andrew's good friend this week (who had received a letter from him) asking me to relay some further exciting information from the MTC.

Andrew asked that I post on his blog that he is the senior companion in his companionship of two.  "What does that mean?" you may ask.  And I have to honestly say, "I don't know!" :)  I know that in the mission field, the senior companion is typically the missionary who has been out the longest and the one who gets to train the new companion, but since they all arrived at the MTC at the same time, I don't know what it means.  Hopefully I'll have an answer to that question when he e-mails again.

The other piece of information he asked me to share is a link to a really cool mail service that makes getting letters and care packages to the missionaries sooooo much easier!  I used it today and it was just lickety-split!  (Not to be confused with Lickety Split Frosting which accompanies the wonderfully amazing Wacky Cake)

Anyway, the link is http://www.dearelder.com/  Once you get there, you can choose to write a letter to be hand delivered or to purchase a care package to be hand delivered.  The letters are free to write and send, but the care packages do cost money.  As long as you write and send the letter before noon MST, Andrew will get it that day.  It's not e-mail, they actually print out the letter, stuff it in an envelope, address it for you, and deliver it to the MTC.  They will also offer pouch service after he's in the field.

There seems to be a bit of a friendly competition at the MTC to see how many letters and packages each Elder can get.  I know Andrew would love to take the lead. :)  Once he's in the mission field in Ecuador, mail from "home" will become even more important.

So, that's it for now.  I'm being forced into learning how do to this blog thing and missionary mom thing all at the same time - and you're all along for the ride!

Buckle up!

4 comments:

  1. Can you give us specifics for sending him mail? I assume it is Provo MTC, but do you have the MTC Box#, Mission Code or MTC Departure Date? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    His full address is in the previous post and here it is again! :)

    Elder Andrew Michael Schomburg
    MTC Mailbox #291
    ECU-QUI 0216
    2005 N 900 E
    Provo, UT 84604-1793

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duh, sorry Jen. You asked a specific question and I skimmed it. His mailbox # is 291, his mission code is ECU-QUI, and his departure date is 0216. I forgot that's how dearelder.com asks for the info. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, I thought that was part of the address, LOL. Thanks for clarifying - I'm a dummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete