Monday, November 28, 2011

Riobamba!

Hello there to all of you!

So, how does this day find me? Well, it doesn't find me in Quito, that's for sure. I am in my new home now, the wonderful city of Riobamba! I'm now in the zone farthest south in the Ecuador Quito mission, and I'm thinking it's going to be a good change. I'm excited to be here, though the weather is less than desirable (chilly and drizzly), but thus is winter in the Ecuadorian sierra. My new companion is Elder Sotomayor, and it turns out that he actually has a brother in the mission who is about to go home. When I heard that I was getting changed and would be companions with Elder Sotomayor I was a confused because I'm still senior companion, but when an elder who is about to go home is put as junior companion, it's usually because he needs to be refocused, and Elder Sotomayor (the older) is a really good missionary, so that confused me. But I'm actually with his little brother, who only has 5 months as a missionary. He's from Guayaquil, and he talks like it. It's gonna be a bit difficult for me to get back into the hang of having a Latino companion, but it'll be very good. I'm no longer training, I'm just senior companion, but it will be good for me. I think I had been a bit too focused on trying to become a leader (district or zone) and let that get in the way, and then when that didn't happen, things just started going badly for me, but like I said last week, I've recognized the need to repent of my ways, and I am doing so now. Yay!

I heard that I had a package waiting for me last night, but then I got changed, so it's going to be awhile before I get any pouch I'm thinking. I used to be able to go straight to the offices to pick up anything, but now I'm a good 4-5 hours away from the offices, so that's a little less than practical. I am glad that my contacts were found though! Too bad they're in Guayaquil...I'm rather confused as to how they got there, but that's fine. I can see well enough right now to get by, and my vision may be improving slightly (my eyes get a workout now). And thank you all for sending packages! I don't know what they contain yet, but thank you for sending them! You all are amazing, and I love you!

Like my mother said in her email to me, I did indeed have something on my mind to share, but I forgot what it was...darn. Hmmm...well, yesterday I got to give another talk in church! It was interesting because I went up to tell the first counselor about an announcement that we had to make, and then he asked me if I could give a talk that day because the sister who was going to give the talk didn't come to church that day. Well, I was a bit surprised, but I accepted and ended up giving a fairly decent talk (I hope) on the Atonement. Every time I...that's what I was going to share! It's not about the Atonement, but I'll share it too, right after I finish this sentence. Anyway, every time that I study the Atonement I am more and more grateful for what my Saviour decided to do for me. He accepted the call to perform the Atonement even before the world was created, and then he decided to follow through with His decision here on earth. He didn't have to perform the Atonement; he has his free will, and he could have chosen to not atone for us. Instead, he continued with what his Father had asked him to do, and through his perfect obedience he has provided all of us with the opportunity to be saved in the celestial kingdom. This sacrifice is not free for us though. He requires that we work hard all of our life, that we too suffer for him, and that we live his Gospel in every moment of our lives. If we don't accept to do so, we reject his atoning sacrifice for us and do not receive the opportunity to receive an inheritance in the celestial kingdom. We do not get to live with God again if we do not live Christ's Gospel. It's just that simple. I know that Christ really did atone for all of our sins, and that through him, and only him, we have the opportunity to receive all that the Father has.

Now, for what I was going to share. I've realized something that has happened recently with me. Every time that I even see the name Jesus Christ my heart gives a little leap of joy. I am so grateful for him and I am so in awe by what he has done. I really have grown so much closer to him in these 10 months, and I know that if I serve him even more and with a more willing heart that I will grow even closer to him and will receive even more blessings from him. It's an amazing thing, and I wish that everyone could feel as I do. I know that everyone can, but you have to make some sacrifices and be willing to put in 100%, not 95%. The path that Christ expects us to walk is not easy. It wasn't easy for him, so how could we ever expect the path to be easy? It's not easy, but if you're willing to receive the celestial kingdom and all that the Father has, you must also be willing to do whatever that takes. It is well worth it though, no matter what it costs in this life. I testify that the blessings of the celestial kingdom, the highest of all the kingdoms and the kingdom of God, are real and are available to all of us if we but choose to receive them and then act on that decision.

(For Jeffrey: Exodus 20:12, Moses 6:54, and 2 Nephi 2:27; you are free to make your own choices and to decide who you want to be.)

Well, I have to write to the president now, so I'll be going. I love you all and I'm very grateful for all that you have given me. Have a wonderful week! ¡Chao!

[Elder Schomburg has asked that I put a link to this talk on his blog... I hope you will take the time to read and ponder it.  Gifts by President Thomas S. Monson - such a wonderful reminder at this time of year.]



Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment