Monday, November 14, 2011

Every Member a Missionary

Hello there my fine fellow people!

I decided that my greeting needed to be a little different, and now it is indeed.

I am doing rather well today. Today has been very relaxing, which is a nice change. We went to the offices, went to two malls, walked through a park, and wrote letters. Also, Elder Pande treated me to Subway (yep, real Subway), so that was very enjoyable. I also bought an amazingly incredible shirt, which accompanies this email. In case you can't tell, it's Yoda (yes, the same one from Star Wars) wearing purple sunglasses and with headphones around his neck, and to the bottom right it says "Ecuador". Yep, it's just about the coolest shirt that I currently own, but I found out something very useful today; Ecuadorian "large" is a U.S. "medium". Even though it's a tad snug and the sleeves are just a tad too short, it's still one of my favorite shirts ever.


We haven't had any run-ins with robbers lately, but on Saturday it was because we can run. It's fairly probable that in the next change (December 3ish I believe) all of the North Americans will be taken out of Comité because of the rising threat level. That's a bit too bad, but that just means we have to do all that is possible to make sure we have baptisms before then. Also, when Elder Pande heard about my first robbing experience he also suggested that we give the robber a folleto [brochure] the next time about the Word of Wisdom (most thieves here are drunks or drug addicts), but since then he has yet to put that into practice. When it comes down to it, running is a much simpler way to do things.

Elder Pande is doing very well. Well, now he is. This past week he got to experience Ecuador's welcome for all North Americans, meaning that he spent the better part of 3 days in the bathroom. All is well now though (go Gatorade!), and he's even more determined to work hard this week. He's a very good companion. He still has difficulty with the language, but I do too, so I just smile and correct him, and then he thanks me for correcting him. He's really a very good missionary. He has a strange sense of humor, and he's done some rather...well, he calls them "awesome" things, though I'd call them "borderline insane", but he's a good Elder. He's basically an extreme sports junkie, and he likes to do the things that people tell him can't/shouldn't be done. Either way, I'm glad to be his companion.

Talking about missionary work, Elder Pande and I recently initiated something among the congregation here. Since we need to use the members more, we handed out a paper yesterday that was titled "Every Member a Missionary" that is to help us get references from the members here. After they give us the reference, we'll set up an appointment with the reference and with the member together. Hopefully it has a lot of success, and I believe that it will. The only thing that we really need is the support of the members. If the members don't support us, we cannot do our job well. Sure, we can do our job, we can knock doors all day long and we can maybe find 5 out of 75 people that are ready to hear the Gospel, but it's not very effective that way. When a member helps us with a reference, then we don't have to search for someone to be a friend to the investigator, we'll have better luck getting an investigator to church, and the investigator will be more likely to want to hear more about the Gospel and take that crucial step of entering the waters of baptism. Members really don't know how important they are to the missionary effort. For all of you members out there, we need your help! Also, if you don't think that being a member means that you're a missionary, I would like you to read this scripture:

"And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.  Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms— That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you. Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.  Therefore, they are left without excuse, and their sins are upon their own heads." D&C 88:77-82
As members it is your duty and a commandment unto you that you "warn [your] neighbor" and to "teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom." There's a reason that within the church we call people "brother" and "sister"; we are all spiritual brothers and sisters. Do you not want the best for your your siblings? Do you not want them to experience unending joy and happiness with their families and with you? I am positive that all of you want the best for your family. Therefore, go forth and spread the good news of the Gospel! Help your brothers and sisters receive eternal life! Share what you know, and declare the truthfulness of this Gospel with the voice of a trumpet! The Lord has commanded it; therefore, it is possible to lift up your voice.

On to other topics, yay Dad! Thank you for being such a wonderful help to Madre while she has been recovering. I know that she appreciates it tremendously.

Well, I don't think I have much more to share today. I sent out a letter packet today, so some letters should arrive to some of you in roughly 2 weeks. Also, the mail system is hating me this month because even the letters that I've gotten are about a month old, which is unusual. That's okay though, I'm sure that you all still love me and are still writing. :) I have not received any packages of any kind for a bit (referring to those of you who told me that you had sent packages), but that is okay. I'll just build up my ability to be patient.

I love all of you very very much. I am so glad to be part of your family/be friends with you. I cannot wait to see you again...rather, I can wait exactly 14.5 months, and then I don't think I'll be able to wait anymore. I love you, and keep on reading the Scriptures! We've been given them for a reason! And if you have yet to start reading the Book of Mormon, I would ask you to at least test it out and pray about it. I love you, and have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment