Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20, 2011

Hello everyone!

So here I am, writing again. The days really do fly by, but every day seems to remind me just how much time is left. I seem to be going through a weird phase were I'm excited to do the work, but occassionally I remember how much longer I have. I think it's called homesickness or something like that, but I've heard that it's pretty common to feel every now and then. I have some remedies that people have sent me, so I think I'll try using those. But no worries, I'm still working hard and serving with all my might (and sorry if this is kinda like water to douse the any fires that I sparked last week. I'll try to throw in something a bit more flammable). It might just be an off day for me. We got permission to watch Kung Fu Panda 2 today, but all the movies that they sell here are pirated, and I really didn't feel right about that, but zone activities are mandatory, so I had to go. That put me in a slightly disgruntled mood, and also I feel like it was a waste of time. There were other things that I would have liked to do, but oh well. Thus is life.

During one of our baptizm (I'm never going to spell that word correctly) sessions that we had this week, we missionaries sang a special number (like we do every time), and this time we sang "I Am a Child of God." [ http://lds.org/media-library/video/general-conference-october-2010?lang=eng#2010-10-5031-i-am-a-child-of-god ]  First Elder Buckland and I sang the first line in English, then Elders Larrea and Rodriguez sang the second verse in Spanish, then we all sang the last verse in Spanish. The amazing part was that I remembered all the words to the first line, and I have my wonderful mother to thank for that. I also had the opportunity to remember my very first memories, back when I was five (I don't exactly have the memory of an elephant). My mom would sing "I am a Child of God" to me every night before I went to sleep, and I still remember those times. I remember that song only because my madre sang it to me. [He and I also sang it in Sacrament Meeting when he was 5 as well as every night - well, I sang and he stood next to me looking cute.]

Why do I tell this story? To help you all realize how important families are. There's a reason that families have been ordained by God. There's a reason that the prophets encourage us to spend so much time focusing on the family. Families aren't just for this life, till death do us part. No, families are eternal. We have this wonderful opportunity to be able to live with our families in the presence of God, our Heavenly Father, for all eternity. How amazing is that? There isn't a greater blessing for anyone in the world. We need to protect our families here on earth so that we have this opportunity, because not all will have this opportunity. Only if we follow the plan that God has put in place for us will we have this opportunity. God's whole plan is for us to return to live with Him with our families. All we have to do is follow that plan. And how do we follow it? By starting out with three things; reading the scriptures as a family, by praying daily as a family, and by keeping the Sabbath holy as a family. Everything that we do to build ourselves up spiritually we have to do as a family, also. Protect your families everyone. There's a reason that Satan is trying to destroy the family. It's because the family can become strong enough that Satan can't have a hope of winning. It's because we can only receive exaltation as a family. Also, families that are strong in the gospel will help the individuals in the family to conquer their shortcomings and faults and will build each other up. 4 or 5 people fighting against one adversary is much better odds than one person alone. I would encourage everyone to work hard to strengthen their families. The lessons that we learn in the family stay with us throughout our life. If we start off strong we're more likely to finish strong. Don't procrastinate the chance to strengthen your families. Start now.

Things are still going well with Elder Larrea. There's always room for improvement, but that doesn't mean that Elder Larrea is horrible and isn't working at all. He teaches well and is a hard worker if you work hard as well. I just have to remember to keep working hard.

Happy Father's Day!! I know I'm a tad late, but thus is the life of a missionary. I'm glad to hear that Dad had a good Father's Day. Quiet celebrations are sometimes the best. Most of the time they're the best, actually. Anyway, Happy Father's Day again! Love you Dad!

Oh, I'm including a couple of pictures, and one is of Anita, the young mom that I told you we'd be baptizing, and we did so directly before Sacrament Meeting this week! Woo early morning baptizms! I was very happy to see her be baptized, and very honored to be the one to perform the ordinance.





I was able to find a speaker unit last week, but I have yet to have the chance to put my music on the USB drive because this computer doesn't have a CD drive. Grrr. Possibly another week minus music, but that will change.

I was very glad to hear that dad was able to give a blessing of comfort. My testimony of the priesthood has really been growing as of late. The priesthood is so amazing, and I am so very thankful that the priesthood has been restored to the earth after its absence. I am so honored to be able to hold the priesthood worthily and have the chance to exercise it so frequently. I hope everyone can gain a stronger testimony of this wonderful authority eventually, because it's really what makes or breaks this church. I am thankful that we know that we have the authority to perform these saving ordinances, and to act in the name of Christ to help bring about the salvation of men.

Well, that's about all that I have for this week. I hope everyone is still doing well. Oh! I was able to send some letters out this past Thursday, but I didn't get a chance to respond to several letters, and also I got some more pouch today, so I'll keep on working on responding. Thank you all for your support, and remember that if we put Heavenly Father and Christ first, we will be blessed in all aspects of our lives.

I love you all!
Love,
Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment