Tuesday, June 28, 2011

End of June already?

Hello there!

So, as my madre correctly guessed, that homesickness thing I had was only a one day thing. It's always only one day, but it's still not the most fun. But I've been cured of it for now, and that's good!

Also, I just got all my music copied on my flash drive! Wooo!! Music this week! That's exciting. Oh, more on the random front, I got some pouch this week! However, due to time restraints, I may or may not be sending a mail package until next week. P-days seem to be some of the busiest days of the weeks. It's slightly ridiculous, but oh well. Thus is life.

So, the work seemed to be coming along fairly well. We had a lot of families that we were working with, and we were teaching a lot of people, but then we had a mini zone conference on Saturday and found out that we've been lacking some things in our teaching, namely challenging to baptizm the first lesson. Because of that, we also realized that many of our investigators aren't really progressing, so...we're kinda starting over with our families. But it was good to have this realization, because now we know what we need to do and we have a bit of a fire to do so. Well, I do at least. I believe Elder Larrea is a bit trunky, but he works hard when I do, so I just gotta keep working hard. Today was the last chance for transfers until the new mission president comes...which is only a couple of days away. President Ghent should be here the 29th-ish, and we'll see what changes he makes. I'm kinda hoping for a change. I always love change, and a change of scenery would be very welcome. I'd love to serve in Quito; however, "Iré y haré lo que el Señor ha mandado...."  [I will go and do what the Lord has commanded.]

We'll be having another baptizm this week, which is exciting because we've been working with this investigator for a bit, and she's super excited to receive a baptizm. For awhile we had to make sure there was another member or someone with us when we taught her because she kept on subtly flirting with me, but that phase has since passed (thank goodness. You don't know how awkward it is to teach someone about the Gospel when they're flirting with you.). Also, she's friends with another of our recent converts, so hopefully they can strengthen each other and help each other seguir adelante. [go ahead]

So, after receiving some of the letters which I did (oh, Elizabeth, the other elders in the zone found your drawings absolutely hilarious and awesome, as did I), I decided that I needed to tell you guys something: No matter how hard things get, no matter how many troubles we have, they can all be fixed and we can live in peace once again if we turn to the Lord. Some people think that they have too many things going on to bother praying or reading the scriptures, let alone going to church. However, I can promise you that if we put the Lord first, we will be blessed. It's a promise that the Lord Himself made to us. If we first seek to obtain the kingdom of heaven, we'll be blessed with the necesidades...chuzo, necessities...that we need in this life. We will be blessed with a way to make it through all the storms and everything that the adversary throws at us. We have to turn to the Lord first in all things; school, car issues, housing issues, family issues, everything. He has given us all, and He has the power to give us more. He wants us to have a happy life, but we have to follow His commandments first. Like it says in Doctrine and Covenants 136:31, the Lord will test His followers to see if they will persevere through these tests, and if they do then they are worthy to enter into the kingdom of His Father. All in all, remember to always turn to the Lord first, and he will provide a way to conquer all trials and adversities. Remember Doctrine and Covenants 121:7 (or look it up!). [My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment.]

Oh, madre, assuming that you still have your "new" Escape when I get back, can I drive it? I have a feeling I'm going to be itching to go driving, and stick is the only way to go.

I was a tad worried to hear that Robby had a bad rash, but I'm glad that it's clearing up now. I hope everyone else is healthy as well.

I feel like there was something else that I needed/wanted to tell you guys.... I can`t seem to remember what it is though. Hmm. Well, okay, I'll just repeat something that I've already said, because it seems to be very important to me right now. Turn to the Lord first, and He will bless you. Please don't think that you don't have time to do so. Reading the scriptures doesn't take more than a minute, maybe two, every day. Even if it's just one or two verses every day, that still counts, and you will find more faith and more strength. Pray every day. The Lord commanded the Nephites to pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ always, and to ask for things from the Father. Christ knew that when you ask the Father with faith, in the name of Christ, you will receive what you are asking for. I know that this is true because I have put it into practice time and time again. We're pretty weak, everyone. We need all the help that we can get, and we have God on our side (Romans 8:31). [What shall we then say to those things? If God be for us, who can be against us?]  He wants to help us. He wants us to have the happiest life that is possible. Turn to Him, and your burdens will be lifted. The easier life is the life with Christ on our side. But we cannot just say that we have faith in Christ, because faith without actions is dead. We have to show that we have faith. We have to always show that we have that faith, and we can start doing so by doing three things constantly: reading the scriptures daily, praying daily, and going to church every week. If you do these things, and you do them with the intent to act on whatever personal revelations that you receive, you will receive more of everything good. It's a promise.

I love you all, and I am so very glad to hear that you're doing well. It's still a bit weird to hear that people miss me, and I'm not really sure why it's weird, but don't miss me too much, because before you know it I'll be back ("from outer space..."...or from the future??). Thank you all so much for your support; it really does mean a ton to know that I have so many people praying for me. Thank you all. I can't wait to hear from you guys again! Keep writing letters, and I promise I'll do my best to reply to you as quick as is possible. Thanks again for everything, and I love you all very much! Cuidanse!!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

P.S. THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED TO SAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!! I know I'm a bit early, but my letter to you probably won't arrive for quite some time, so here's your happy birthday wish. Happy Birthday!! I hope your day is über feliz (snap, Spanish AND German!) and full of rest and happiness. Also, happy birthday to Aunt Ginny! Her birthday was a couple of days ago, but still, better late than never. Happy birthday all! I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment