Friday, February 22, 2013

"CONSTANT [DILIGENCE]!!"

Hey howdy hey!

Well, a Monday post didn't happen. In fact, it's Friday, which is far from Monday, but at least I'm writing something, no? I hope everyone has had a wonderful time since I last wrote, and I hope that times will continue/begin to be wonderful after now.

I've had quite an eventful week. I had a visit from Michelle which was quite wonderful indeed! It was amazing to see her after around 2,5 years of not seeing her in person. In truth it was a tad surreal, and it was a very good visit in many aspects. After that visit I made some decisions that I feel were the Lord's will, and then I continued doing everything that I could to get back into the swing of things. The day after Michelle's visit I looked a bit more for work, as I've been doing since week 1 back, which included a phone call to find out the results of an interview that I'd had earlier. The results of the interview weren't the greatest, but the results of the phone call were wonderful. The helpful recruiter informed me of another company that was hiring and asked if I'd be interested in working for them. I said yes, and the next day I went in to fill out paperwork. I didn't actually know that the paperwork would be for my almost immediate employment with the company, but that's exactly what it was. So now, almost 3,5 weeks after returning from my mission, I was employed. I would say that's fairly good work. I'm also happier right now than I have been for quite some time. So, what does any of this have to do with the title of this post? I know that I have received these blessings because of my efforts to stay constantly diligent in the things of the Lord.

What exactly is diligence? Dictionary.com says "constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken" is the definition of diligence. In a more spiritual context, diligence can be defined as "consistent, valiant effort, especially in serving the Lord and obeying his word" (The Guide to the Scriptures). Diligence is actually part of the gospel: endure to the end. You can't endure to the end unless you're diligent. When one sees that you have to be diligent until the end, one can be slightly daunted by that thought. Until the end can be a long time. In my case the end might not come for another 65-70+ years. That's a long time. So how can one be diligent constantly? My mom has a saying that can be applied to this situation: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." How is one constantly diligent until the end? One day at a time. But what is it in which we must be diligent? 

There are many things which we must do in this life, and we should be diligent in most all of them. But as it says in Alma, "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6, The Book of Mormon). Church leaders constantly impress upon us the need to do several things: daily scripture study; have personal and family prayers; attend Church meetings regularly; and hold family home evenings weekly. By doing these small and simple things, one will be able to develop the faith needed to live the gospel, a faith that leads to repentance, keeping of baptismal and other covenants, living worthy of the gift of the Holy Ghost, and, yep, enduring to the end. These four small actions will lead to a lifetime of diligence and happiness. And while I have not yet experienced a full lifetime, I can testify that diligence does bring happiness and blessings beyond measure. I have tried hard to be diligent in these weeks that I have been back from the mission. I have tried to study the scriptures daily, pray daily, and attend Church activities and meetings. Family Home Evening is a bit of a challenge for our family, but we'll be working on that. I have also been diligent in seeking for answers and seeking for blessings, i.e. work. And now I'm starting to see blessings. If I hadn't been diligent, I know that I wouldn't be in the position in which I am right now. And I can testify to all of you that you too can receive all of the blessings that you need if you are diligent day by day. And if you're being as diligent as you can and things aren't changing, remember this quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley: 


I testify of the veracity of President Hinckley's words. 

I'm looking forward to these next weeks. I know that I'll continue to be stretched and to grow (like I need to get any taller), and I'll continue to learn. I'll find more challenges and more happiness, and "things will work out." I hope that everyone can take a bit of courage from this message and be diligent in all the things, one day at a time. I love you all and wish you all the blessings that Father has for you! May we be diligent in finding them! 

Love,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment