Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 11 1/2

Hello there!!

So, this week (as of the start today ;)) I am doing very well. Last week I was a bit sick. I don't know specifically why, but my stomach just decided to go haywire, and I had some bad stomach pains, "bicileta" (I'll leave you all to figure out that one), and got sick one night, but I'm all over that now. Also, one day I just hurt all over. My whole body ached, and I had no strength whatsoever, but I still went out and worked. I don't know how effective I was that day, but I tried.

We do meet in a church building. All the church buildings that I've been in in South America have been really new, and fairly nice. The church really does things right. There are still limitations in some aspects, but that's due to the region. We do the best we can with what we have.

I think I'm still getting along well with Elder Huarahuara...haha there's still a bit of a language barrier, but he's still teaching me, and we're still teaching together. Actually, I'm getting the opportunity to teach more as of late. Usually I smile and try really hard to understand and then give a little snippet of information that I have, and then Elder Huarahuara takes over again, but now I'm close to teaching full principles, which is a good feeling. I guess I'm progressing, at least a little bit. Also, I am starting to think in Spanish, so that's exciting.

So far we have been received very well. There haven't been any threatenings or even mean words said to us (that I know of), and we generally always get an opportunity to teach, even to hardcore Catholics. If people turn us away, it's always because they say, "Estoy ocupado," ["I'm busy"] even though they really aren't. But we still get new investigators, and we still get the chance to teach other people. Todos esta bien en el campo misional. [All is well in the mission field.]

 Oh, we had another baptism on Saturday, and I got to perform it again! (Note: when I say we, I generally mean my companionship and not our district; our district had two baptisms en Sabado.) I absolutely love baptisms. There isn't anything about a baptism that I don't like. I get to help someone receive a saving ordinance and the opportunity for eternal life and exhaltation. It's so exciting! My mission will definitely have been worth it even if these three people that I've baptized are the only three that I baptize. Also, I may have very exciting news involving a rockstar next week. Stay tuned!

OH!! I got pouch!! I received letters from the end of March (roughly March 20-30), so that was exciting. Also, I'd like to point out that someone is a goof, but that person is much more awesome because of it. Goofs are the best.

Jeffrey, this part is directed specifically to you (but madre, I'd like if this goes in my blog as well). I am so darn proud of you. Your choice to no longer whatch R-rated movies and to not play Call of Duty anymore is a very mature decision to make. It's all the more impressive because of your reason; you wanted to follow the counsel of the prophet. That is quite incredible. Also, I am so proud of you for standing up for your decision, even when your priesthood quorum gave you a hard time about it. That's a true sign that you are a disciple of Christ, and you are an excellent example for both your priesthood quorum and also for your family. Keep on keeping on bro. I love you man.

I'm very glad to hear that everything is going well at home. You all are such good examples for your friends and co-workers. I'm so very proud of everything that you're doing. Good job with the costumes Elizabeth! I will be anxiously awaiting pictures of them (:D). Yay for Cub Scouts for Robby! Robby, you'll have such a good time with Scouts. I didn't get to do Scouts as much, but I think it'll be a good thing for you to do, especially if you stick with it. Yay Dad! Work is always good. Oh, also, Padre, there are many cars and many motorcycles here. Most of the cars are different from in the States, and all of the bikes are wimpier. There's a truck here that I like called the Chevy L5. They're used by the local police force. Also, there are a bunch of Renaults, though they're only seen as taxis. Most taxis are Hyundais, Renaults, or Kias. I did see a BMW X5 yesterday, but that's the nicest car I've seen here in Ecuador.

Well, I should probably go now. I shall continue to let you know if I'm in need of things (oh, I'll probably be buying an umbrella soon; I'm tired of getting drenched basically every day, and my raincoat is too hot to wear here) and when I receive mail. I'll be sending a mail package this Thursday, so be looking for mail in the next few weeks. Also, when you receive mail from me, could you let me know? Thank you. Okay, I shall go. I love you all! Keep on keeping on, and stay strong in your testimonies. Also, to others not of our faith who read my blog, if you ever want to know anything about our religion, please write me! I want you to know and I'll get mail too, so it works for everyone! Woo! Okay, I love you! Bye!

Elder Schomburg

P.S. They don't sell Reces (oh no...I think I've forgotten how to spell that!!) down here, which makes me a tad sad. Also, peanut butter is not sold here in La Concordia, which is also sad, so I can't make do-it-yourself Reces. But all is well still! Okay, bye!!

I will consider this motherly instinct as I have already sent him peanut butter... I know my boy!  Hopefully it will actually arrive at its destination and he can make his own Reeses. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment