Monday, January 16, 2012

Changes and lessons to learn...

Hello there!

Well, that wasn't the most creative salutation, but I'm not in the most creative of moods right now. One could say that I'm actually feeling rather stressed right now, and of course I'll be telling you why.

So last night we got the information about the changes (of companions: turns out 6 weeks have already passed by since I was named district leader...weird), and the changes were exactly what I expected: a complete surprise that no one could have seen coming. Well, Elder Sotomayor has gone on to a new life in Esmeraldas, and I'm still here in Riobamba, but I'm back together with an old companion of mine, one who was also in my district in a different sector, and neither of us are very excited about that, though I'm doing my best and trying my darndest to be excited. I'm companions with Elder Fernelius again! And he hasn't really changed from the last time that you heard about him! I'm also sorry to say that I haven't done much to establish a good relationship. For these past weeks Elder Fenelius has felt that I don't show him any love and that I'm always macheteing him, and I do agree with him. My first experience with him in Santo Domingo left less than desireable feelings towards him in me, and I believe that that has reflected in the way that I've lead him. Anyway, he told the zone leaders that he has no respect towards me at all, and that even in the nightly check-in phone calls that he played a game to see how short he could make the call. It made me really sad when I heard that I hadn't shown him the love that he's needed, but now I have the perfect opportunity to show him that love. The only problem is...he has not changed since I first met him. So this change will be difficult for that reason. But that's not all!

I'm training again also! Yep, you heard right, I'm about to have my third son, and he'll be born into a trio this Wednesday! I'm excited about that for sure. Somehow I've been deemed responsible enough by the Lord to be in charge of starting off another one of His missionaries. And I'm still district leader. Oh, and Elder Fernelius' old sector is being absorbed by our sector, so we also have to try to take care of all of the investigators that he had and all of mine. I am going to have a very full schedule these next 6 weeks. We're all rather confused as to why this is all happening (the zone leaders had told President Ghent that they thought it would be better for Elder Fernelius and Elder Rodriguez to stay together to work out some problems that they had with obedience, but that didn't happen), but we do know one thing: the Lord's ways are not our ways, the Lord's thoughts are not our thoughts, and He works in mysterious ways. I know that the Lord has called me to this responsibility because He knows that I'm ready to take on such a responsibility, and that I will learn a ton of things from this change. I'm just going to have to really learn and apply Chapter 6 from Preach My Gospel; Christlike Attributes. But I believe very firmly in and try to live 1 Nephi 3:7, and I will go and do what the Lord commands.

And it sounds like the Schomburg children in the States will be taking on more responsibility as well. Yay for jobs! Good job Jeffrey! I'm rather excited for you as well, and I'm sure that you shall do your job with enthusiasm and Jeffrey-like pizzaz! Yay! And yay for being called to help in the leadership of Aaron's Camp! That's pretty darn amazing, and you will learn so much as you are called to lead and be stretched more. You will become so much stronger, and you will grow even closer to your God and your Saviour as you do so. I have faith in you! You can do it!

And, because I won't be online tomorrow, nor any other day until next Monday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIZABETH!!!!! The sweet 16! That's ridiculous. My little sister isn't 16. That's not allowed I don't think. Nor is it allowed that she can now date. Nope, I won't have it. But I guess I can't really stop it, and if it's her choice, and Madre, Dad, and even the Bishop think she's ready, then I guess it's her time. ....I feel old now.

So, in response to the question if I've gotten any packages or letters lately, I would be lying if I said I hadn't, because this Friday I got the Schomburg Family Christmas Card! But apart from that, nada. I'm still waiting for the several packages that I was told were on the way, but it seems as if I need to be more patient with pouch too. Entonces, I shall keep waiting and hoping.

I don't really have too terribly much more to say for this week. We have a baptism this week! That's pretty cool because he was an "eternal" investigator, or rather, an investigator that liked to listen and everything, and liked more to hang out with the missionaries, and had been visited by tons of missionaries, and appeared like he would never take that step of faith, but now he is going to get baptized this Saturday, so yay! Sometimes I wonder for how long missionaries should visit an investigator until they have to call it quits. For example, some people could receive a million lessons and never come to the decision to be baptized. Others are able to come to that decision and be baptized in two weeks. I know that there are people out there that have been prepared to listen to the Gospel and receive it and make the necessary covenants, and that we're supposed to be focusing on finding those people, but some people do just need a bit more time. So, the question is, how long is too long to contine with an investigator that doesn't come to church or fulfill some compromises before one calls it quits? I just don't know. It's something in which we need to put our will in harmony with that of the Father, and then we will receive the answer. That's how it works for everything really, so we much always be humble enough that we can recognize and fulfill the Father's will.

Well, I believe it is now time for me to go, so I shall do just that. I love you all, and I am grateful for all of your prayers on my behalf and on the behalf of all of our investigators. I hope to hear from as many as you as possible this week and in the weeks to come! Keep striving to find out what is the Father's will and to do so, and you will be blessed with eternal life when all is said and done. I love you! ¡Chao!

Love,
Elder Schomburg

1 comment:

  1. Heavenly Father please lift Andrew up to do the work you require of him. Guide Andrew and give him wisdom and strength to help him with the challanges he faces. I humbly ask that you watch over Andrew keep him safe and continue to touch his heart.

    ReplyDelete